Foundation Trainee Information
Foundation (pre-registration) training is changing and all recruitment of trainees must now be via the NHSE Oriel system.
In 2021 the GPhC published updates standards for the initial education and training of pharmacists.
These new standards have changes the way pharmacists are trained and the way in which that training is quality assured.
From 2025/26 the only route into training will be via the NHSE Oriel system.
- The NHSE Oriel Recruitment system is the only route to recruiting a trainee pharmacist for 2025/26 and beyond. Employers must list their programmes within Oriel by the 1st March 2024.
- For the 2025/26 training year, all trainees will need access to a prescribing environment and designated prescribing practitioner. It is the responsibility of the pharmacy employer to enable this.
- From 2026/27 all trainees will need access to a rotation (at least 13 weeks) in an alternative sector (hospital, general practice, H&J).
PLEASE NOTE: You will not be able to host a trainee if they do not register on and use the Oriel platform.
Recruitment timelines mean that anyone wishing to employ a trainee pharmacist in 2025/26 must register with the Oriel system in January 2024,
More information can be found on the NHSE pharmacy recruitment website.
To support you, a range of FAQ’s have also been published in relation to funding for the Foundation Training Year 2025/26
If you have any questions about the changes to foundation training please get in touch with email@example.com
The NHSE Oriel system is now open for pharmacy contractors wishing to recruit a trainee pharmacist for 2025/26
Webinar: Now available on-demand
The GM Healthcare Academy and CPGM hosted a webinar for NW LPCs, contractor and Pharmacy teams on Thursday 8th February 2024 at 7.30 pm via Zoom
The link to the recorded webinar can be found here:
The slides can also be accessed via the links below:
If community pharmacists and contractors have any queries regarding ORIEL or have queries relating to the foundation trainee programme you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
- NHSE NW HEE ORIEL update
- Propharmace – Supervisor Training for Educational Supervisors & Designated Prescribing Practitioners.
- Practical tips for finding a DPP.
- Q and A
- Jane Brown – Regional Head of Pharmacy NHS NW North School of Pharmacy and Medicines Optimisation – North West NHS England
- Khalid Khan – Training Programme Director – Trainee Pharmacists North School of Pharmacy and Medicines Optimisation – North West NHS England (ORIEL lead)
- Noma Al-Ahmad Managing Director Propharmace
- Rosie James – Pharmacy Programme Director